- The JPO has announced that the patent approval rate during examinations for 2021 remained high at 74.8%. On the other hand, the refusal rate was 25.2%, and the number of requests for appeals against decisions of rejection has continued to decrease since 2015.
- In cases in which a pretrial re-examination was conducted, the patent examination rate remained high at over 50%. In cases that proceeded to trial by a panel of trial examiners, more than 70% of the cases resulted in the decision to grant a patent, which shows a trend toward yearly increases.
The following linked page shows how to make effective use of appeals against decision of refusal.